These creatures are an impressive sight often beheld within the crystal biome. Beautiful crystalline doe, they are the size of an average deer, standing around six feet tall from head to hoof. These doe do not have horns, but they do possess short, jagged tails similar to that of a typical deer in appearance. Despite their build having many parallels with typical woodland deer, crystal doe have additional unique attributes that make them truly eye-catching. Speckles of rocks and crystals sprout from the "skin" of crystal doe, glistening in the light and emitting pleasant sounds akin to that of wind chimes when they move. The crystals that grow from the doe are most commonly found upon their backs, ankles, and cheeks. The rest of the body of a crystal doe is made up of a smooth and sheen "skin" that varies in color, typically taking the appearance of the crystal structures near the origin location of each doe. Crystal doe are most often spotted in pastel shades, this coloring indicating the general age of the deer. Younger doe are lighter shades, while elders tend to appear darker and more vibrant in color. These deer are commonly believed to be ethereal and magical in nature, but in truth their abilities come from the stones and crystals growing upon their bodies.
Crystal doe are skittish creatures by nature and if approached too quickly, they will attempt to flee. These creatures are also equipped with a defense capability, only activated in the instance a crystal doe feels trapped and unable to escape. Their skin will rapidly harden and the doe will cease to move, stunned in fear. If a crystal doe is injured in this state, it's entire body will completely shatter into hundreds of tiny glass fragments. If left alone, over time the doe will begin to piece itself back together, reforming the creature with whatever glass remains, as long as more than half of the deer is still present. Any missing pieces may result in doe with deformations such as only half a head, only three legs, etc.
The rarity of a crystal doe depends on its stone type. Crystal doe can only be found growing common and rare stones. These creatures travel in herds of 10-15 doe and 1-2 stags. Most herds will be made up of common crystal doe, but on occasion a crystal doe may be found sporting the rarer stones.
Although crystal doe can survive outside of the crystal biome, these creatures call the crystalline forest of Adelona their home. It is very rare to find crystal doe outside of their natural habitat, but deer who were captured and escaped captivity will often have trouble finding their way back home.
Crystal doe will often be seen consuming stones, crystals, or the flora found within the crystal biome. They can also consume mundane gemstones and rocks, but they do not eat typical fruits, berries, etc.
Multiple crystal doe from a herd tend to mate with the same crystal stag when breeding. Crystal doe are far more commonly born and found than stags, and baby deer produced will take on the appearance and traits of whichever parent they share the gender of. If a sunstone crystal doe mates with a hydromancy runed crystal stag and the baby is a female, the baby will be a sunstone crystal doe like her mother. Although crystal doe may be skittish and timid, they can be docile and gentle with non-threatening humanoids. They often favor smaller, less intimidating individuals, but can bond with a larger being should they serve as a protector. Crystal doe can be tamed and kept as domesticated creatures. Sometimes they can form a close bond with a single individual, but rarely ever trust more than that one person.
- Crystal doe can use abilities related to the stones they grow.
- Wiseman's Stone: Can detect mana and sources of such, and will sense any mana casting. They will change colors near leylines, significant magical anomalies, and in the presence of active magic items.
- Deep Crystalss: Can create a magelight and toggle it at will.
- Icedust Stones: Can tolerate subzero temperatures and create a cold smog to slow enemies.
- Sunstone: Can create a blinding light to temporarily stun enemies.
- Moonstone: Can create an area of pure darkness, using it as means of escape.
- Arcamite: Can absorb and store a spell for later use.
- Elderium: Can dispel magic spells thrown at them. They burn mana casters upon physical contact.
- Necrite: Can cause burns upon ethereal creatures.
- Mirrorstone: Can create portals to assist in escape.
- Crystal doe can harden their skin, turning it to glass when stunned in fear.
- If injured in this state, they will shatter into tiny glass fragments that rebuild themselves with what remains later on.
- They can shed the stones/crystals upon their backs every so often. Dependent on rarity and stone type.
- The glass shards of a shattered crystal doe can be used in an alchemical capable of repairing damaged objects.
- Cannot be used in healing alchemicals, does not work on biomatter.
On rare occasions in which crystal doe produce male fawns, these creatures are known as crystal stags. Crystal stags grow to impressive heights of seven feet tall from hoof to head, sporting admirable sets of antlers made up of elaborate crystal structures. These stags are quite stocky in build, making them a sight to behold. The antlers of a crystal stag can grow up to 1/4th the size of the creature itself and are often used for defense or intimidation. These creatures are decorated in a myriad of colors through a prism-like dance of light, taking on pastel shades akin to their female counterparts, but trending towards the darker colors such as shades of blues and purples. Just as crystal doe vary in color based on maturity, so do crystal stags. Younger stags are lighter shades, while elders tend to appear darker and more vibrant in color. Crystal stag hides are soft to the touch, a contrast to their hardened crystal antlers.
Unlike crystal deer, stags are far more brave and willing to fight to protect the herd when sensing danger. They are also better equipped for combat, their most notable capabilities stemming from their large crystalline antlers. Upon close inspection of the crystals on a crystal stag's antlers, small runes can be identified as appearing to be inscribed within the crystal structure. There are nine different types of runes that can be found upon the antlers of a crystal stag, each corresponding to a different Runesmithing discipline. Crystal stags are able to activate their runes similar to runesmiths. If a crystal stag is killed, the runes upon their antlers will meld away, removing the runes and their abilities but leaving the crystals blank.
Crystal stags are often the leaders of crystal deer, very few stags present within each herd. The herds typically consist of 10-15 doe and 1-2 stags.
These creatures roam with their herd in the crystal biome, and are rarely if ever found anywhere else. Attempts have been made to relocate them outside of their natural habitat, but their territorial and defensive nature has prevented even poachers from moving them.
Much the same as the doe, crystal stags feast on the stones and crystals present upon the land they live in. They are able to eat any mundane crystal or rock, but favor the crystals that grow naturally in their homelands.
Crystal stags tend to mate with multiple crystal doe when breeding. Crystal doe are far more commonly born and found than stags, and baby deer produced will take on the appearance and traits of whichever parent they share the gender of. If a sunstone crystal doe mates with a hydromancy runed crystal stag and the baby is a female, the baby will be a sunstone crystal doe like her mother. Crystal stags are territorial and aggressive when their herds are under threat. These creatures are quick to pick up on potential threats and are prone to attacking anything that gets within the general vicinity of the herd. They have an extremely strong bond with all creatures in their herds, so much so that they are considered untameable. If removed from their homeland and/or herd, crystal stags will act in extreme defiance and make consistent escape attempts, always trying to get back to the herd.
- Crystal stags are able to activate the runes upon their antlers to trigger a magical effect. The stags require 2 turns to activate a rune.
- Pyromancy: Can create an orb of fire between their antlers to be launched in a direction of their choosing. Capable of inflicting up to second degree burns.
- Hydromancy: Can launch up to ten sharp shards of ice capable of cutting through most leather, hides, and flesh. The shards inflict wounds similar to that of a dagger, and apply mild frostbite upon contact.
- Aeromancy: Can manipulate wind to knockback even the largest and heaviest of enemies. The wind can be blown in an arc spanning up to 5 meters and can knock the enemy/enemies back up to 10 meters.
- Terramancy: Can crush pieces of metal armor inwards. Capable of breaking bones, can only manipulate 1x1x1 meter of armor at a time maximum, not immediately lethal.
- Erebomancy: Can shroud a 5x5x5 meter area in complete darkness for up to 3 turns.
- Sound: Can remove all sound from a 10x10x10 area for up to 5 turns to prevent enemies from communicating with one another.
- Space: Can create portals that allow the herd to escape. Each time the runes are activated, one portal will be made. Portals can only be open for 3 turns each.
- Alteration: Can manipulate gravity, causing things in a 5x5 meter area to float and fall at will, lasting up to 3 turns. Cannot lift things more than 10 meters off the ground.
- Mana: Can create arcane shields capable of deflecting attacks. Each arcane shield can tank a maximum of 3 attacks before the runes need to be activated again.
- The crystals of a crystal stag antler can only be harvested if the creature is killed.
- When used by a runesmith, crystals of a crystal stag antler can serve one of two purposes:
- Will activate any kind of rune, regardless of the activation type. [This consumes an antler fragment.]
- Removes the need to spend a turn active writing if used as the utensil. [This consumes an antler fragment.]
- If a crystal from the stag antler is combined with Dreaming Lily nectar, a skilled alchemist may be able to restore the original runes to the crystal, allowing it to be activated as a one time consumable break activation for the rune to cast one final time.
|Geography • Races • Flora • Fauna • Stones • Metals • Cloth • Foreign Continents|
|The World of Aethius • The Multiverse of Aethier|